Saturday Night at the Television Movies

The first time I saw the trailer and heard “American Woman” I felt like I should get ready to go on the air again, because I used it as my intro back when I was dabbling in radio. It’s the lead-in for HBO’s “Game Change”, whose roll out has mimicked a Hollywood theatrical production. The entire marketing and advertising of the HBO film has taken film television production advance to a new level.

The previews seen through all the different interviews, as well as the reviews, reveal Julianne Moore at the top of her game in a role that could be the dessert of her career to date. It’s any actor’s dream to have such a fascinating character to portray, especially a woman who caused such a political furor by coming on to the national political stage wholly unprepared and stirring up a whirlwind of drama with everything she says, does and wherever she goes.

The Hillary Effect and Clinton’s 18 million cracks paved the way for Palin mania. It’s why Sarah Palin is one of the characters in my book. There’s no way to write about ’08 and the Hillary Effect without including Sarah Palin.

Of course, unlike “Game Change”, written by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann, which tore the skin off the bone of every female character portrayed in the book, I write about Palin’s rise and her own self-destruction while also giving her the credit she’s due for the rise of the Tea Party in 2010. No one can take that away from her. Back then and before her Loughner video response flame out there were a lot of establishment Republicans who thought she had an inside track to the nomination, people like Mark McKinnon and many others. But that was then.

HBO’s “Game Change” covers only the 60-day McCain – Palin saga, which is a very smart focus and one that lends itself well to great drama, especially as recounted by Halperin and Heilemann in their book.

There are going to be a lot of people DVRing or watching it tonight. After seeing the clips, as well as all the interviews. I’m looking forward to seeing Ed Harris as John McCain. In some of the clips his looks and persona are uncanny.

However, there’s a lot of talk about the element of the story where Nicole Wallace realizes how she feels about voting for Sarah Palin. Their relationship ended up unraveling, even if Wallace began by rooting for Palin when it all began.

SarahPAC has already put out its rebuttal through a video and Sarah Palin has been very vocal about the advance publicity. It’s obvious she’s freaked about it.

The lesson of Sarah Palin is that national politics is tough on amateurs, but if you’re willing to risk it anyway it can make you rich. But whether Sarah Palin can add something more than chatterbox fodder and a defense for what ails us by coming to the side of people like Rush Limbaugh remains to be seen.

That reality hovers over the film, because the ending of the McCain-Palin partnership was an epic flame out.

psUnrelated, we spring forward early Sunday a.m., don’t forget.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Saturday Night at the Television Movies

1. fangio March 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Is there a problem with the website. Will not access comments, very slow to load.

2. secularhumanizinevoluter March 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Been hit or miss…couldn’t get to the site at all, all morning! But all is well in the marsh now!
    This promo actually makes her out to be a sympathetic figure being overwhelmed by it all. While that may have been true at the beginning…she def came into her own on the stupid crazy meter. Nearly as crazy as McCain for picking her.

• Taylor Marsh March 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I know people are saying the solar storm wasn’t as bad as people thought it might be, but the last 3 days I’ve been in Tech Hell.

Thanks for you patience!

3. angels81 March 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Every time I hear her open her mouth I just have to shake my head. I heard her last night on faux news claiming that Obama wanted to take the country back to before the civil war. For the life of me I don’t know how anyone can take this moron seriously. Schools up in Alaska must be pretty shitty, because she would never have made it out of third grade in my school.

4. Dividist March 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

“Game Change… tore the skin off the bone of every female character portrayed in the book…”

True. The caricature of Elizabeth Edwards as portrayed in the book was shameful. Funny how only the campaign operatives, staff, aides and pro politicos come off as vaguely positive in the book, while most all of the candidates and their spouses look like fools and maniacs. You don’t suppose the fact that the “anonymous sources” relied on by Heilemann and Halperin were only feeding them stories that made themselves look good do you? And without a whole lot of scrutiny by the grateful mud raking authors.

The primary source for the four Game Change chapters that are the basis of this film are Wallace and Schmidt. Coincidentally they are the only sympathetic characters in the movies. Who would have thunk it.

5. fairmindedindependent March 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

On Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough said it wasn’t as bad as Sarah Palin thinks and that it does not make her look as bad as she thinks. Sarah Palin should be happy that someone is playing her in a movie, if she thinks its good or bad not too many people get to see someone play themselves in movies. I saw some promos and it seems like a good movie and it seems like the actors playing these roles did a fantastic job.

6. Rick Roberts March 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

All I can think is Tina Fey! What an empty-headed joke Sarah Palin is, and so are Republicans for lapping her up. GOP is a dead party.