Piers Morgan and Toure Interview Combat

After a Twitter smackdown, CNN’s Morgan live tweets booking MSNBC contributor Touré, which leads to a serious discussion between the men.

The Orlando-Sentinel reports other news that impacts the discussion, because it adds new facts to the case.

As the Trayvon Martin controversy splinters into a debate about self-defense, a central question remains: Who was heard crying for help on a 911 call in the moments before the teen was shot?

A leading expert in the field of forensic voice identification sought to answer that question by analyzing the recordings for the Orlando Sentinel.

One potentially explosive report from the Hollywood Reporter cites critics accusing NBC of editing the tape they used on “Today.” The problem is that the critics include Sean Hannity and Brent Bozell, not exactly paragons of standards and practices, with Hannity regularly spewing fantasy on the air and his radio show.

However, according to reports, it appears MSNBC has corrected the tape, though without acknowledgment that the context was originally edited.

This story continues to developing, as the plot thickens.

Nobody analyzing the story is looking good at this point. The feeding frenzy has led to rapid fire dialogue that leaves no room for discussion that isn’t red hot. It’s understandable given the subject, but it’s only giving us an unending TV show trial no matter what channel you watch.

, , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to Piers Morgan and Toure Interview Combat

1. fangio April 1, 2012 at 12:27 am #

Who cares? The whole thing is a freak show. None of this matters, what matters is that states across this country have enacted laws that have transported us back to the 19th century. It’s Dodge City, only theres no Matt Dillon to protect us. What this law says is quite simple: you may shoot and kill anyone who disses you. Well isn’t that special, how many people diss each other every freaking day. People feel threatened these days when you raise your voice to them; an airline agent in Texas threatened to have a woman arrested because he thought she was ” insulting ” him. What kind of voter elects a lawmaker who votes for a law like this. It’s voting for murder, mayhem and lawlessness. This is the 21st century for Christ’s sake. Ever since this incident more and more stories have been coming out about the consequences of these laws for innocent citizens. There have been hundreds of deaths and injuries and there are sure to be more. No state should have a right to enact a law like this, there is a limit to states rights, we have a constitution, not the articles of confederation. For Obama and the Democrats to stay quite on this travesty only makes them complicit in this killing spree. If I were a parent, I would be afraid, very afraid, every time my child left for school; black hoody or not.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Ahhhhh…check me if I’m wrong….and NO ONE can say I am a big fan of the President….but wasn’t he getting racked over the coals for SAYING something about this just last week?!!!!

• spincitysd April 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Sec,

Don’t forget the whole “Beer Summit” fiasco / climbdown that the President was forced to endure early in his administration.

• Lake Lady April 1, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Another important aspect is the new knowledge to most of us that these laws have not been demanded by citizens but are part of a coordinated, organized effort pushed by ALEC and the NRA..

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

Yes… agreed. Hate the tragedy, but am also glad that these terrible laws and just who supports them, are being brought to light.

I do not have a concealed carry permit (and have rarely shot a gun)… so all of these castle laws and stand your ground were completely new and shocking to me. I guess I agree with the castle laws, but not this law in Florida.

A few years back there was a big issue in Medford, OR. If I remember right, there was a woman who had a concealed carry permit and also had a restraining order against her ex-husband… feared for her life. But she was a teacher, and she wanted to bring her gun to school… This was denied and I believe the court upheld the denial. It gets complicated with guns and people fearing for their lives… but I believe the courts made the right call in Oregon. But this Florida law… bad.

Zimmerman should have gone home and let the police look into things. To quote Obama from an earlier highly charged racial issue, He (Zimmerman) behaved stupidly. He made a VERY poor judgment that may result in a sentence for him. I still just prefer to wait for all the evidence to come out before jumping on the racial hate-crime bandwagon, etc. I am not stating that this is not a hate crime, or racial profiling, just that we need to let the justice system do their job.

2. dafederalist April 1, 2012 at 4:51 am #

wow…the state of journalism today……Mr. Mrrow has to be spinning in his grave

3. JoeCHI April 1, 2012 at 9:21 am #

MSNBC has a history of editing video to fit its editorial agenda. When they wanted to push the meme that tea party activists were all racists, they cut the video showing that one activist was black, and just included close-ups of the man’s gun.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Yeah, EVERYONE knows the teabaggers aren’t racist…BWAHAHAHAHAHA! “the meme” BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4. StrideHyde April 1, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Seems to me after this and the reported “doctoring” of the Supreme Court recordings, we should not rely on anything we think we hear or see on cable TV.

5. Lake Lady April 1, 2012 at 10:38 am #

The very worst so far was Lawrence O’ Donnel interviewing the undertaker for forensic evidence! Sometimes I have to wonder why he always seems to go soooo far to prove he is on the right side of racial isues?

He used to have this promo that depicted him leaving the MSNBC building, on his way out he pats the doorman ( a black man) on the shoulder. It has always bugged me.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 11:30 am #

“The very worst so far was Lawrence O’ Donnel interviewing the undertaker for forensic evidence!”
      So…the misinformation from the cops, the lies from the Zimmermans…THEY weren’t the worst…the WORST was interviewing someone who actually handled the corpse and has had extensive experiance dealing with corpses of people who have met violent ends and observing the things that happen to a body….and nting that other then the GUNSHOT none of these were present? THAT’S the worst?!!!!!!!!!

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I did not see this O`Donnell interview LL refers to, but many times I have seen O`Donnell TEAR APART anyone who disagrees with him. He comes across as a VERY ANGRY man and certainly does not present an unbiased viewpoint. But… his show is an editorial show, so he is entitled to his views… it is just his methods that turn me off, so I rarely watch (unless I just happen to catch it if I have just turned on the tube).

Sec — I still do not see why we all cannot wait for the actual evidence that the newly appointed prosecutor and the Justice Department are looking into. From what has been reported, I agree that it appears that Zimmerman is likely guilty of some crime, but whether he is or isn`t, and just what that crime may be, will only be determined once all the evidence has been thoroughly sorted through….by the experts assigned to this case…and if and when a grand jury convenes, not by random experts that are likely making $$ for their opinions given to the media. We really just do not know yet. Sometime last week I heard the new prosecutor that was interviewed state that it would take a few weeks to peruse all the evidence. They cannot just arrest someone to please the public… If they did, I think they would be opening themselves to lawsuits (not sure, but is my guess).

Also — If they choose to prosecute, certainly both the prosecutors and the defense will bring in their own set of so-called experts… who make a lot of $$ at the trial… to prove one side or the other. Feel sorry for the jury (if there is one), and for the legal system that has to try to find a means to a fair trial. And before someone jumps all over me…. I still mainain that the greatest tragedy is that a young man was killed… that will always be the awful truth.

With that said, Al Sharpton and others who continue to demand things that the legal system is not yet ready to do, are not helping matters. I heard his speech yesterday at the Sanford rally and I thought it was pretty bad. Plus he is calling for economic sanctions against local businesses and the city… maybe I have the details wrong. I just do not think he is helping much.

My heart breaks for Trayvon`s mom and dad… This should never happen to a family.

• Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Misinformation from the cops? Lies from the Zimmermans? Where is your proof of that? Can you provide us with some reference links from authoritative sources? Share with us the information you have that the rest of us do not have.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

“broken nose, head smashed against concrete” As shown in the tape when Zimmerman was brought to the Police station LIES. If he had a broken nose and needed stitches seems the cops would have transported him to an emergency room huh? Seems there would be quite a bit of blood both front, back and all over the ground huh?Or don’t you trust your own eyes? ALL of the early stuff trying to exonerate Zimmerman came from the cops. And then there is the gem of his own mouth on the tape, the one you were so worried about being doctored…the one where he quite clearly says “fu*kin coon”. But I know, I know the cops and the Zimmermans wouldn’t lie to us.

• Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I prefer to wait to hear from the paramedics and the doctor. Calling the kid an epithet (if, in fact, he did), doesn’t make him a murder.

I read that clothes from both men were taken as evidence. So let’s just wait.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

If it were NOT for all the screaming and yelling NOTHING would be getting looked into.

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Sec… You do not know that either… Some reports (perhaps they are wrong)…. but if they are right, have suggested that this so far has taken the time one would typically expect in such a case. You are under the assumption that there was no ongoing investigation…. but ….WE JUST DO NOT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What we do know is that it has become a national media event….. That is what all the screaming and yelling has accomplished.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

We DO in fact know. The interviewing officer thought and said he should be charged with manslaughter. The DA said NO.
            So he walked. Nothing started happening till the upwelling of vocal outrage.

6. whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

I just watched the video Taylor provided between Piers and Tour`e… I really have little knowledge of either of them. Is Peirs the one who took over after Larry King…(my question mark key is not working)…

After watching, they both had good points at times. I thought Tour`e interrupted so much and to be more biased than Piers. I do not think Tour`e is a journalist though. Tour`e rubbed me wrong with his rush to judgment. He may be right, but we need to wait and see. Just my view.

• dafederalist April 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Piers is the one who just had to testify before the British parliament due to all that phone hacking….now..he’s giving a lecture on journalistic ethics? The Irony

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Was he found guilty of anything? I really do not know. I did not know who he was until this interview. I can look it up myself, but at this point will likely just get a bunch of web editorials either trashing or loving him..

Face it — The media sucks these days and there seems to be little that is reported without their own personal editorial comment. Even new media (sorry Taylor….).

Anyone have a great source of media these days… unbiased… just reporting the facts? (switched computers so have a functioning ? ).

• Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

“Anyone have a great source of media these days… unbiased… just reporting the facts? (switched computers so have a functioning ?”

Well, I can tell you what I have done and continue to do to control where I get information and how much advertising I am exposed to. Some of it is technical, but I am willing to help any of you.

- In 2006, I sold my TV. That was one of the top three things I have ever done for myself along with serving in the military and starting my own business. The best part of that is no yelling, sensationalist cable news networks. They are all trash.

- On your browser, install Adblock and Ghostery to block ads and prevent tracking.

- My morning news comes from NPR and the following web properties: NY Times, taylormarsh.com, a couple of technology sites I follow, Politico, RealClearPolitics. Sometimes I will look at the Washington Post. I occasionally glance at redstate.com, but I can’t participate. Erik will ban you if you challenge him. I also like the Economist and The New Yorker.

- I edited the hosts file on my computer to block certain sites from myself. That keeps me from going there on purpose or if I click on a link that would take me there. On that list are: drudgereport.com (only tries to inflame), huffingtonpost.com (garbage), gizmodo.com (a tech site), news.google.com, and news.yahoo.com.

- I listen to All Things Considered in the evenings.

- I don’t own an AM radio, and I don’t own a car (hence no drive time radio). I am not exposed to the talk trash on it.

- I don’t read dailykos or firedoglake.

- Daytime radio listening is a mix of Diane Rehm, Here and Now, World Have Your Say, Fresh Air. All of these are available via FM, NPR app on your phone, or podcast if you miss them.

So that’s what I do.

• AliceP April 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Hey – your list is about the same as mine. I’m glad to know about Adblock and Ghostery.

• Lake Lady April 2, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Rick~ I would just add the Guardian to your list.

7. whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Wonder of Toure had some pressure put on him………

• Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

Yes, hopefully, his bosses at NBC told him how embarrassed they were that one of their journalists appeared on another network and acted like an asshole with a fellow journalist. Zero professional courtesy.

Complain to NBC News here: http://d.pr/zIF3

8. Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I just watched Piers Morgan’s interview with Toure. Toure was incredibly rude and disrespectful. He should be ashamed of himself, and NBC should sanction him. The snarks, eye rolls, interrupting. How ridiculous and unprofessional.

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I agree RR — Wonder if it is a generational or racial thing in how Piers and Toure were interpreted.

I am a white female, 48 yrs old… and I thought Toure was disrespectful as well.

• Rick Roberts April 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Toure said he and his colleagues at NBC were in the hallway laughing at Piers. I’m sure the professional journalists at NBC appreciated his speaking for them. Just pathetic.

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I know… That was particulary painful and disrespectful. My guess is that MSNBC will welcome Toure with open arms… bet he hits all the shows next week as they anticipate high ratings as a result.

Any bets about whether Toure will be on Morning Joe in the morning?

• whitepaw April 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

He may even get his own show!

• Ramsgate April 2, 2012 at 12:55 am #

Disrespectful? Toure should know his place right? Realize just who he’s talking to. Funny, that’s exactly what McCain said about Obama during the campaign when he criticized Palin. They even ran ads about it.

• whitepaw April 2, 2012 at 1:34 am #

OK — Le me replace the word disrespectful… Toure was flat our rude… does that work for you? I would have said the same of Piers if he had repeatedly interrupted Toure in the same fashion…

• Rick Roberts April 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

No, don’t replace the word, whitepaw. Disrespectful is what Toure was, and that is the word you correctly used. Stand by your language.

People need to get their asses off their shoulders. Ramsgate added a question and statement to imply something you did not say.

• spincitysd April 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

“ridiculous and unprofessional.” R.R.

But great Television I’m afraid. The boob-tube loves this kind of fluff and nonsense. TV loves controversy because it draws in eyeballs, and that draws in advertisers. But you already knew that.

9. spincitysd April 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

R.R.

I’m going to have to call bullshit here.

My credentials:

Former U.S. Navy Corpsman for five years, worked in a clinical setting (duty ER) for one year and on a ship for four.

Head wounds, especially blunt trama (head being slammed into concrete) bleed like there is no tomorrow. The scalp of your head is highly vascularized, having numerous capillaries infusing the skin. That’s med talk for lots of tiny vessels all over the scalp, close to the surface of the skin

Even a very minor laceration (cut)on the head will ooze blood; making a fairly impressive mess. Point of fact RR, as a first responder a quick evaluation of the cut, and then lots of reassurance if the cut is minor is the first order of business. Patients will freak out from the bleeding from even a minor cut. The resulting panic will cause the first responder a lot more problems than the laceration itself.

So, when I saw the tape of Zimmerman waltzing into the police station without even a bandaid on his head, I immediately doubted the claim that Zimmerman’s head had been pounded into concreate.

Also the lack of any kind of dressing on the nose was a dead giveaway that Zimmerman’s nose had not been broken or even moderately injured. Point of fact, noses also bleed fairly freely and if broken must be immediately splinted. Now a minor nose bleed can be easily controlled with a not-so gentle squeeze and a 4×4 dressing. Not much fun for the patient I will admit, but s/he will be right as rain after a half hour. As long as the EMTs / Paramedics were reasonably competent, they could have managed not only to treat Zimmerman punched nose, but also prevent any blood getting on his clothing,.

I also find it very odd that Zimmerman did not even sustain visible abrasions (med talk for scratches) For a man who just had his head pounded buy someone’s fists and then bashed into a concrete sidewalk (concrete being rather abrasive) he had very little to show for it in dressings. As matter of fact he sported no dressings at all, not even a telfa 2×2; odd.

This is not to say that Zimmerman may have sustained injuries to his torso (ribs and stomach) I will wait on my suspicions on that score until the full medical report come out. Blows to the lower body are a hell of lot harder to sort out than head injuries. There is a whole lot of touching, feeling, poking, prodding, twisting and pulling you have to do to insure everything below the neck is in good working order.

I just do not see any indication of any kind of serious injury to Zimmerman’s head from that tape. I don’t see how a man who is having his head beat into the hard and abrasive surface of either asphalt or concreate has so few injuries to show for it. Remember the original story is Zimmerman getting his head pounded into concrete.

Now, if the story changes to grass, meh, whole different scenario there. It would also explain the grass stains on Zimmerman’s jacket. Small problem for Zimmerman, getting his ass handed to him on grass, places him in much less mortal danger than getting his ass handed to him on concreate. Much more likely for Zimmerman to have reacted out of panic than out of justified self-defense. And that still leaves the nagging question of why all that pounding left so few obvious injuries on Zimmerman’s face; after all we are still talking about fists flying into Zimmerman’s puss at an alleged rapid rate.

And all this begs the question of how Zimmerman got himself into the situation in the first place. If he had stayed in his truck, none of this would have happend in the first place. Maybe he should of listened to the instructions from dispatch to stand down?

• Rick Roberts April 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Well, look. It seems to me there are two things that will be easily cleared up when there is testimony or when previous testimony is disclosed:

1 – Did Zimmerman have injuries, and if yes, were they cleaned up? There are paramedics who know the answer to this. Investigators and prosecutors already know. What is the point of our speculating?

2 – Neighborhood Watch groups must surely have schedules of who is to be on duty when. I imagine investigators have looked to see if Zimmerman was scheduled to be on duty that night. If he was not scheduled, then why is there a problem with his having his licensed firearm with him? Like it or not, they are legal to carry.

• whitepaw April 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Yes… Can we not all just wait and see? I think the rational thing is to wait for the evidence to be presented. Every day there is some change in the reports from the day before.

It truly is a media circus and it is very sad. Let’s get upset when and if we find out what really happened.

We are all amateurs here. None of us have the credentials to claim, emphatically, what happened. But so many are claiming that they KNOW! It is absurd.