Kony 2012 Co-Founder Arrested Drunk & Masturbating in Public

Whoa, this isn’t exactly the way to celebrate success.

Forgive me if I’m jaded, but I lived in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills specifically, way too long to appreciate hospitalization of instant celebrities as anything more than a PR means to avoid prosecution and losing everything.

Jezebel has further details, including Russell’s weird family fantasies that include having a baseball team of children with his wife.

Invisible Children’s CEO Ben Keesey released a statement through NBC:

“Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition. He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday. Jason’s passion and his work have done so much to help so many, and we are devastated to see him dealing with this personal health issue. We will always love and support Jason, and we ask that you give his entire family privacy during this difficult time.”

TMZ reports that Russell has been hospitalized and is on a “5150 psychiatric hold.”

When the Kony video was first released, there was an incredible amount of dispute about Invisible Children, with people not sure what parts to embrace and what to scrutinize.

Boy, am I glad when I wrote about the trending Kony 2012 YouTube phenomenon I said I couldn’t vouch for Invisible Children, focusing on Kony and the LRA, but especially the activist model that pushed the film to go viral.

Russell will always have that.

As for Russell’s public drunkenness and lewd and lascivious behavior, activism is stressful, but taking on a war criminal and becoming an international sensation can obviously make you snap.

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Kony 2012 Co-Founder Arrested Drunk & Masturbating in Public

1. angels81 March 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

I have a question… This is news why?

• jjamele March 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I agree. What the hell is this doing here?

Sorry, Taylor- your site just took a big hit in the credibility department in my book. Please, spare us this garbage, which is more worthy of TMZ or The Huffington Post than here.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 17, 2012 at 9:07 am #

“Sorry, Taylor- your site just took a big hit in the credibility department in my book. ”

OMGAWD who isn’t even THERE!!!!! Ms. Marsh’s credibility has taken a hit in the book of jjamele!!!! HOW WILL SHE SURVIVE!!!!!!!!!

• jjamele March 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

It’s called expressing an opinion, secular. Maybe you didn’t recognize it because I didn’t use “Republikant” and other buzzwords which I assume you have trademarked by now.

Meanwhile, Taylor is a big girl. I’m sure she can take a little criticism now and then, even if you can’t.

2. fangio March 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Drunk and masturbating in L.A.? I’m surprised anyone noticed; must have been a slow day.

• angels81 March 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

This is about as important as what Lindsey Lohan did or didn’t do today.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 17, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Who does this guy think he is? PeeWee Herman?!!!!!!!!

• spincitysd March 17, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Fangio,

No, Drunk and masturabating in Pacific Beach, a community of San Diego, California; even less likely to get noticed.

3. angels81 March 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

This comment was off topic and has been deleted.

4. secularhumanizinevoluter March 17, 2012 at 9:09 am #

This comment was off topic and has been deleted.

• Lake Lady March 17, 2012 at 9:43 am #

This comment was off topic and has been deleted.

5. Taylor Marsh March 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

People’s ignorance about the Kony 2012 campaign, the success and controversies, to apprehend a war criminal isn’t surprising to me, nor is people’s willingness to opine when they don’t know anything about it a surprise. So, I’m not shocked that the co-founder’s disgrace wouldn’t make a dent with some people either.

6. casualobserver March 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Hard to imagine dehydration or physical exhaustion leads to manic physical behavior. The message still stands independent of the messenger anyway. Maybe it was Ugandan secret police drugging him to discredit him….let’s check with Rosie.