Gingrich Slams Obama for Trayvon Comments

Newt Gingrich just couldn’t help himself.

The National Journal caught it and Politico picked it up.

Of course, it played out during another of Sean Hannity’s Obama hate fest radio hours:

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich harshly criticized President Obama for commenting on Trayvon Martin’s race as he extended condolences to the 17-year-old shooting victim’s parents on Friday. Obama said, “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon,” a remark that Gingrich said he found “disgraceful” and “appalling.”

“What the president said, in a sense, is disgraceful,” Gingrich said on Sean Hannity’s radio show. “It’s not a question of who that young man looked like. Any young American of any ethnic background should be safe, period. We should all be horrified no matter what the ethnic background.

“Is the president suggesting that if it had been a white who had been shot, that would be OK because it didn’t look like him? That’s just nonsense dividing this country up. It is a tragedy this young man was shot. It would have been a tragedy if he had been Puerto Rican or Cuban, or if he had been white, or if he had been Asian-American, or if he’d been a Native American. At some point, we ought to talk about being Americans. When things go wrong to an American, it is sad for all Americans. Trying to turn it into a racial issue is fundamentally wrong. I really find it appalling.”

That Newt Gingrich doesn’t understand this is a racial issue, that a young black man isn’t safe to walk down his father’s street without being shot for doing so, is indeed a racial issue, is why African Americans and Latinos vote overwhelmingly for Democrats.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to Gingrich Slams Obama for Trayvon Comments

1. Cujo359 March 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

“Is the president suggesting that if it had been a white who had been shot, that would be OK because it didn’t look like him?”

Fallacy of inversion.

“That’s just nonsense dividing this country up.”

Fallacy of being a bigoted little douchenozzle.

• Cujo359 March 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

I’ve elaborated on that first point here. I think the second speaks for itself. ;)

2. Isis March 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Twisted mind.

3. whitepaw March 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Where do they come up with these things! There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with what Obama stated..

4. Joyce Arnold March 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Newt Gingrich being Newt Gingrich.

• Ramsgate March 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Funny, the only thing that Gingrigh does not seem to find neither reprehensible nor appalling is what he sees when he looks at himself in the mirror.

5. JoeCHI March 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Many believe that Obama’s reputation for playing the race card is well-deserved. Gringrich’s response capitalizes on that reputation.

• angels81 March 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Really? And who are all those people who believe Obama has a reputation for playing the race card? Seems to me they are the same people who have always had a problem with a black man in the white house.

• whitepaw March 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

You are as usual WAY off base here. Many felt the Obama election campaign played the race card against Hillary. But that does not mean they have a problem with a black man in the WH.

• Marie205 March 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

I think angels81 is speaking about those out there that does have a problem with a black man being president. Yes, folks they do exist and vote against Obama solely due to the color of skin.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Appreciate your comment Marie205, and certainly they do exist… But there are MANY who have seen clearly how Obama is more than willing to play the race card and have called him on it, yet they have no racial bias whatsoever.

angels81 has thrown the term racist out there OFTEN… Frequently when someone on this board does not agree with Obama, he (think he) makes a blanket statement as he just did…. claiming that anyone who thinks Obama has played the race card… has a problem with having an African American in the white house. It is really quite infuriating.

• Cujo359 March 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I’m one of them. They never hesitated during the 2008 primary. Do you think I have a problem with there being a black man in the White House?

• Sasha March 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

*slowly raises hand* and whispers, “I hate it when he plays the race card”.

I don’t have a problem with a black man in the white house though.

• Rick Roberts March 25, 2012 at 8:33 am #

“And who are all those people who believe Obama has a reputation for playing the race card?”

I’m one. Both sides play it. Both sides should stop.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Agree 100% RR — Thanks!

6. Lake Lady March 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Anybody ever see a list of Frank Luntz talking points and language usage for the GOP?Newt has been his best practioner for years and years. It is how to talk about Democrats 101 by proff. Luntz. Change the topic it would be the same words : disgraceful, pathetic,fundamentally dishonest,unamerican,outrageous,divisive,death taxes etc..

Under that massive ego must be some serious self loathing because he always sounds like he is describing himself to me.

• whitepaw March 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Ha!! So true LL :)

7. TPAZ March 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

It’s counterpunch time from the right. Come Monday, Trayvon Martin will have morphed into Malcolm X in right wing media. If a black person physical body isn’t safe walking down the street why would you expect his reputation, living or dead, be any more sacred? Next week will be real ugly for the Martin family.

• Rick Roberts March 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Especially if more comes to light. There is a witness. The screamer on the tape was Zimmerman – not the young man. Grass stains on Zimmerman’s back. I think we don’t yet have all the facts.

8. jjamele March 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

To be quite honest, I didn’t find Obama’s “if i had a son…” comment at all offensive, just pointless, unnecessary, and really kind of self-serving and stupid. The first time I heard it, it reminded me of those “Some of my best friends are…” comments used by people who are not really bigoted, but who are way too defensive when it comes to the subjects of nationality and race.

To me, it sounded like “I understand this tragedy, because I could have a kid who looked just like this kid” and I wondered what difference it could possibly make what this kid looked like? Let’s get off our high horses for a minute and ponder this rationally. Obama’s remark about how Travon looked wasn’t offensive, it was just a dumb attempt to ramp up his empathy quotient- “I can feel your pain because hey, I’m black too and If I had a son, he’d look like this…” left me scratching my head. Gingrich is a moron and I can’t imagine why he went there, but I’m already tired of hearing the endless “If I had a son” soundbites from a guy who somehow managed to make this All About Him on some level.

• whitepaw March 24, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Good post — I also found nothing offensive about Obama’s remarks… But I found nothing “incredible” about them either. From what I saw earlier on MSNBC, they are practically drooling over Obama’s comments. What’s new!

• Lake Lady March 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Really :) professional droolers! On the other hand I thought what he was saying was ….this could have been anyone’s son. I guess it is the ear of the beholder.

• jjamele March 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

i would have been much more impressed if the President had added “and that’s why this hits me especially hard, and it’s clear to me that this is a racist law which must be overturned before even one more innocent person is murdered.”

But he didn’t go there. Because he NEVER goes there.

9. secularhumanizinevoluter March 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Gingrich said what he said because he was speaking to the base of the repugnantklan/teabagger party and knew it would strick a cord with them.
    What President Obama said was nothing more or less then the truth.
    Racism IS the issue.
    A young unarmed, completely innocent of any crime other then being a Black male is DEAD. HOW ON EARTH and sane person with a functioning brain can try to say otherwise is insanity manifest.
    “FU*KING COON” What the frack OTHER then racism could this be?!!!!!!!

10. whitepaw March 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Call me clueless, but why does this shooting become a right/left issue? I assume because of gun control issues and that most blacks vote left. But really, do we know anything about Zimmerman’s political views?

Sidenote – Just returned from getting helium filled balloons, and a Mr. Potato Head for my lovely nephew to dig into when they arrive for Chinese food and birthday cake (and of course the onslaught of presents) in about 30min. This is the first birthday we have been able to spend with my nephew (he is 2), as he lives in Germany. I mentioned that he is African American, and I just hope that he does not have to face such issues as a teen.

• Lake Lady March 24, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

I have the same fears for Sammy’s little cousin Anya. My son-in law’s brother’s wife is bi-racial and Anya and Sam are two weeks apart. I know they will be fast friends for life. I know both kids will have their bumps and bruises in life but I thought we were putting race behind us years ago.

It is like there is a group of people who want to erase the 20th century

11. fairmindedindependent March 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I had no problem with what the President said, something needed to be said. I am sure he will catch flack from the conservative media for it, like he did with the Beer Summit. I don’t like Al Sharpton and others wanting media attention sticking their nose into this, for airtime. Thats not right. This should be about Trayvon Martin. I am also worried about racial tension, yes this is a racial issue no doubt, but people who say this was a white on black is wrong because Zimmerman is Hispanic, though it should not matter, the conservative media is running with it.

12. Lake Lady March 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

I understand that Al Sharpton is controversial and I don’t watch his show often because the volume drives me crazy just like everybody on MSNBC…do they turn the hosts mics up or something?

But I have come to respect the Rev. he knows his stuff and he is smart as a whip. If he had had the opportunities that others have had no telling what he would have done but he has done pretty darn well for himself. Someone has to protest and someone has to lead. It is not always comfortable to everyone but it is not meant to be. He has put himself on the line for years. I know it has been profitable for him but that is the american way. No?

People who defend poor people or people who are being descriminated against don’t have to wear sack cloth and ashes.I think the same of Michelle Obama what is she supposed to do wear clothes that are in upholstery colors like Laura Bush?

13. ladywalker68 March 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Lord knows I am not an Obamabot and in general very lukewarm to President Obama. That said, I didn’t think he did or said anything wrong.

Gringrich is simply the world’s biggest jerk. No big surprise that the big, fat, white pasty-faced goofball is trying to twist the President’s words into something they are not.

14. Jane Austen March 25, 2012 at 9:07 am #

One question – when a woman is raped, what do we say? It could have been my daughter, my sister, my wife, my mother, my grandmother. Does this make President Obama’s comment any different? I took President Obama’s comment in the same vein. Newt better find something else to be appalled at. This doesn’t cut it.

15. mjsmith March 25, 2012 at 10:01 am #

President Obama should have learned his lesson the first time he said something. The fact that he said anything at all about this will make it that much harder to bring this case to justice and can only benefit the murderer of the 17 year old. I understand that this is an election year and “wedge-issues” are important to keep the voters polarized.

• angels81 March 25, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Nothing the President said will have any bearing on this case one way or another. If you listened to or read the Presidents whole statement you would know that he has said nothing to make this case any easier or harder.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Obama did nothing wrong.. agreed. You on the other hand need to learn to stop throwing out judgments against many posters here and insinuation they are racist.

• angels81 March 25, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Get off your high horse, I have never insinuated that anyone here is a racist. I have made a point that there is a lot of people on the right who would fit that bill, and if I seem to be hitting to close to home, then maybe you need to take a look in the mirror. I have seen no one who posts here that I would consider racist.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

OMG — You are CLUELESS! And.. you do it again. You do it all the time.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

And exactly why should I be looking in the mirror… again? Apparently because you consider me to be on the right…. and racist…

But then again, as you state, no one who posts on this board would you consider racist…by you……………..yes…….. right……… as has been proven repeatedly by your comments (snark… big snark).

Except for all the little digs and attacks that you make towards anyone who does not agree with you… I might believe you…. another big SNARK.

Lucky so many on this board have a thick skin…

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

I should add that this post was related to posts from several strings over the past few days where angels81 has thrown out veiled accusations of racism towards other posters. I am not posting this from left field.

16. whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 11:36 am #

‘insinuating”

• angels81 March 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

I’ll tell you what whitepaw, if you don’t like what I post then don’t read them. I like everyone else who posts here will express my opinion as to what I think, and by the way who are you to tell me what I should say or think for that matter? I’m sorry you find the issue of race to be a non issue, but some of us see it as a major issue when it comes to this president and the political discourse in this country. A lot of what’s been going down with the right wing in this country is all about race, sexism and gay bashing and you can whine at me all you want, but until you can show me that isn’t the fact, I will continue to bring it up when I see it needs to be said.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I am SO disgusted with you that I am posting things that I would typically not post.

NEVER have I implied race is not an issue… NEVER….

I take issue with YOU and your veiled accusations of racism where they may not exist (towards many posters here… and I am one of them).

I am not whining….. again — I am simply disgusted with you and your attacks.

Simply stated.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

And if I have the time I read all posts… sorry — but I will read yours. I do not always look at the byline. And I have the right to comment on your posts… byline read or not.

Do not tell me to not read your posts……….

17. Sasha March 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

The New Black Panther Party has a $10,000 bounty on Zimmerman’s head and have called upon 5,000 Black men to descend upon Stanford.
    When asked whether he was inciting violence, the leader Muhammad replied defiantly saying: “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.”

This will not end well.

• whitepaw March 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

I know.. It is not looking very good Sasha…

18. casualobserver March 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

By the way, if anyone is interested in current photographs of Martin and Zimmerman, as opposed to the ones taken several years ago, here you go…….