Quote of the Year (so far)

Fresh from CPAC, tough guy Sheriff Paul Babeau, who was also Mitt Romney’s Arizona co-chair, has gotten himself sacked and out.

“All of the allegations are false except one, I am gay,” Babeu said. – Politico, David Catanese

You mean the allegations that you threatened an ex-lover with deportation if he didn’t keep the affair quiet? Babeau is denying these charges doesn’t stop the scandal.

For a story with more color see Howie Klein, or Jeralyn over at TalkLeft for the legal aspects.

, , , , , ,

8 Responses to Quote of the Year (so far)

1. fangio February 19, 2012 at 1:38 am #

Maybe this guy could be Romney’s running mate.  Romeney’s got the illegal gardener’s ,  the law enforcement officer has his illegal gay lover,  it’s a match made in heaven;  if he was in a different party.  This is too good to be true,  a right wing republican illegal immigrant hawk shacking up with an illegal.  I especially like the picture with Mr. Clean rubbing his young lovers bare chest. If this wasn’t made for our web based nut house I don’t know what is. You gotta love this country;  although,  I don’t know if it’s as good as Senator Sanitorium saying that Obama’s policies weren’t based on the bible.  Hello!  We live in a democracy,  not a theocracy,  separation of church and state and all that mundane stuff.  It was designed that way to protect us from people like YOU!

• newdealdem1 February 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

You have a way with words, fangio.   You made me lol with some of that description.   I hope that young man is not used as a pawn here and made an example of and be deported but I have little doubt that is exactly what may happen.  Unless, of course, since Babeu denies the allegation of blackmail “threatening his ex-lover with deportation if he didn’t keep the affair quiet” and for harboring an illegal immigrant, this young man is given immunity and asylum for turning states evidence against Babeu.  Frankly, I hope that’s what happens.

2. RAJensen February 19, 2012 at 5:49 am #

It doesn’t get any better for Rick Santorum either. A 2008 video clip was unvovered that shows Santorum, a Catholic, insulting mainline Protestants stating that Protestants have left Christianity. Is there any group that these morons have not insulted?

• newdealdem1 February 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

After watching that delicious and batshit crazy declaration from Torquemada-Santorum, I don’t know why but I immediately had a flash back to the Tudors and Henry VIII.  I think even Thomas More would have done a double take and then cringed at that description.

Oh, yes, Torquemada Santorum, keep digging yourself into that increasingly insurmountable grave.

3. secularhumanizinevoluter February 19, 2012 at 7:55 am #

THANK YOU JEEBUS!!!!!

4. TPAZ February 19, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Here in Arizona, compared to Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Sheriff Paul Babeau is one of the good guys. That should tell you all you need to know about the level of insanity in Arizona.

Getty up!

5. Joyce Arnold February 19, 2012 at 9:07 am #

So, another right wing candidate is forced out ot the closet. His immigration position and actions add a different, ugly and sad twist; it’s frequently an anti-LGBT position and actions. But I’ve lost track and count of how often something like this has happened.

And also as usually happens when these stories break, the language used includes “admitting” one is gay. Of course, he uses the word “allegation,” which isn’t much better. I realize this “admitting” characterization of acknowledging one’s sexual orientation when it isn’t hetero is fairly common. Someone is just heterosexual, but you “admit” you’re lesbian or gay or bisexual or transgender, like it’s a bad thing. This attitude is changing, of course, and I’d guess that most people who use “admit” aren’t doing it with the intention of being demeaning.

Now, what “allegations” the now out right wing individual faces may very well be seen as something to “admit” to.

6. newdealdem1 February 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

If we recall, Madeleine Albright famously said (and, I agree): “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women”   Notice she didn’t use the word “support” but “help” which are two different things.

Whether or not I believe in a place called hell (more like hell on earth),  that’s how I feel about these gay people who are powerful and closeted and harm other gay people whether individually (as alleged in this case) or in general if they are pols and always vote against gay issues.

If this guy is guilty as charged, I hope he suffers whatever the law allows in this sort of case and with no plea bargains for him.

And also as usually happens when these stories break, the language used includes ”admitting” one is gay. Of course, he uses the word “allegation,” which isn’t much better.

Yes, using charged words like “admitting”, “allegation” and the other “A” word; “accused”.  All of these are highly charged words used when a man or woman is supposedly gay and in the closet (or relatively so) regardless of whether or not that person has harmed other gay people – allegedly  like that Sheriff).  And, there is not only an implication but an association with having committed a crime (which at one time in some places being gay was illegal) – outside of the actual criminal charge of blackmail (again, allegedly like that Sheriff) – or at the least being gay is something of which that person needs to be deeply ashamed.  It’s always been something that makes me shudder when I hear or read those words in these situations and any news organization that uses such hair-raising words to describe someone who has been recently “outed” needs to be challenged for their non-objective and harmful bias.   Period.

And, the gay person like that Sheriff who uses any of those “A: words to describe their own self, well, you don’t have to go that far to see how self-ingrained those odious “A” words have poisoned their own psyche.

This attitude is changing, of course, and I’d guess that most people who use ”admit” aren’t doing it with the intention of being demeaning.

It is changing but not enough for my taste, frankly.  And, I’m not a radical person.   Thanks for verbalizing this, Joyce.