Mitt Romney Minute: Just a Couple of Cadillacs? And a Ford Field Fumble.

Art offers his perspective as a movement progressive activist.

I think we can use Britney Spear’s anthem “Oops I did it again” as Mitt Romney’s theme song. Mitt was declared the “winner” of the nasty Wednesday debate but as usual Mitt creates a self-inflicted firestorm.

Speaking at the Detroit Economic Club event, in a stadium nearly fully empty, Romney said:

“This feels good, being back in Michigan,” Romney said. “You know, the trees are the right height. The streets are just right. I like the fact that most of the cars I see are Detroit-made automobiles. I drive a Mustang and a Chevy pick-up truck. Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually. And I used to have a Dodge truck. So I used to have all three covered.”

A couple of Cadillacs? Just a couple? Don’t worry the Romney camp clarified with a classic case of making matters even worse. Camp Mitt told the Washington Post that:

… Ann Romney drives two Cadillac SRX’s (model years 2007 and 2010), one in California and one in Massachusetts.

And what is the costs of these Cadillacs?:

The 2010 model of the luxury compact SUV retails for about $36,000 to $50,000, while the 2007 model retails for $38,000 to $44,000. (The base MSRP for a Cadillac SRX is $35,485, according to the Edmunds car price Web site.)

So the explanation is wife Ann needs two because they have two homes on each side of the country. And voting is Tuesday? here we go again. Another damaging event for Team Romney that makes him look out of touch from working people.

Here is Mitt’s California home, nearly 11,000 square feet:

Mitt's La Jolla California Home

Then there is the New Hampshire summer estate:

Mitt's Summer Estate in NH

Compounding the gaffe was a set of explanations as to why Camp Romney would have such a speech in a empty stadium. At least 4 excuses so far have been given, from the secret service made them do it to an error in approving the venue. More here.

Here is a view of the event:

, , ,

11 Responses to Mitt Romney Minute: Just a Couple of Cadillacs? And a Ford Field Fumble.

1. Joyce Arnold February 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

While I continue to think Romney will be the last GOPer standing, Team Romney just keeps doing dumb things that prove how out of touch he is. Maybe he won’t be so much “standing” and propped up.

2. JoeCHI February 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I can think of at least 15 families in my parent’s neighborhood who have 3-5 cars/household, and my parent’s live in a very modest community in NW Indiana.  Further, the cost of the Romneys’ cars COMBINED don’t approach a fraction of the travel and clothes expenses of Michelle Obama.

• secularhumanizinevoluter February 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

” Further, the cost of the Romneys’ cars COMBINED don’t approach a fraction of the travel and clothes expenses of Michelle Obama.”

REALLY? You got some numbers to site or are you just pulling sh*t outta yer ass routine? Wait… of COURSE you’re pulling sh*t outta yer ass.

“At least Romney didn’t need a Rezko, an Oprah,  or an American Taxpayer to underwrite his indulgences.”

No, he just needed his rich daddy, some totally immoral while technically legal repugnantklan family values corporate action and rich corporate sponsers, doing blatantly illegal things for him.

• Art Pronin February 26, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Hah. In my neighborhood folks are selling their cars to pay rent people! And Im ina middle class one. Its crazy. Even my repub neighbors are turned off by Mitt bc of this crap from him

• spincitysd February 26, 2012 at 8:50 am #

JoeCHI,

Forget the Cadillacs for a second or two and think of just the La Jolla, California digs. Let me tell you, that is one swank address. I know from La Jolla Joe CHI, a typical doghouse clocks in at $300,000, and then some; a home, 1 million plus, and that’s for the “shoe-boxes’. Mitt’s home there clocks in at the millions, and for some reason is too small. Tell me that your friends can afford to live in those “inadequate” digs. Thanks to the Big Blue of the Pacific and the exclusivity of the neighborhood (location, location, location) only the wealthiest of the wealthy can a afford to live in La Jolla, CA.

Granted the Romenys are slumming it a bit with the Cadillacs, La Jolla residents loan those out the the house-help to fetch odds and ends, but as the Romney resources are a bit strained with those other eye popping properties, they can be forgiven for not driving the La Jolla standard of MB, BMW, and Audi.

Oh, since you bring Michelle Obama into the picture, like a good TEA Party troll should, please note that she is the First Lady Of The United States. Her “expenses” are part and parcel of the cost of any other FLOTUS since Lady Bird Johnson, and a bit more because every nut-case, mouth-breathing idiot out there would love to take pot-shots at her because of her husband. The FLOTUS does not have the option of flying coach.

I never heard one word from TEA swilling morons like you JoeCHI when Lilly White Laura Bush was flying, all alone, to idiot-boy’s toy ranch on the Taxpayer’s dime. But let an “uppity” black women follow Laura’s lead of separate travel, and all of a sudden “patriots” and “fiscal conservatives” like you get your knickers in a twist– it is so pathetically transparent what your real agenda is here as to be almost comical.

Final observation, I can bet your friends and neighbor’s rides are not nearly as swell as Ms Romney’s. More like my wife and my cars is the guess: one elderly Honda (2001) and one equally elderly Ford Focus (2002). I also bet that budgeting for repairs of those cars is also a lot harder for thee and me than Ms Romney.

In short JoeCHI, get out town with that right-wing boiler plate spoon fed to you by Faux News, and don’t come back until you have something a hell of lot more intelligent and lot less racist to say.

3. Isis February 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Empty stadium, this does not look good, they should have booked a smaller venue, one that reflects his lack of popularity. Love it when a pol’s overinflated ego is busted.

• secularhumanizinevoluter February 25, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

All the take your own photo booths at the park were occupied.

4. Cujo359 February 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I wouldn’t mind Romney discussing all his cars and houses if I had the impression that he is concerned about the rest of us. After all, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, and JFK were all aristocrats. They just had a sense of fair play, or at least a willingness to make sure the rest of us were doing well. Romney strikes me as a guy who got what he has by taking it from the rest of us, and either doesn’t know that’s true or doesn’t care.

5. Art Pronin February 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

The trouble is this all fits a narrative in the age of occupy that is very bad for Mitt. Mitt isnt fdr- he is not proposing to betray his class with a tax hike etc.. Mitt is vowing to protect his class- that is why they cant fill seats. Mitt’s budget would scrap key programs like Medicaid to pay for further cuts for the rich. Maybe people arent flocking to see him because he offers working class republicans nothing. Every remark like this does more damage to Mitt’s branding.

In the age of occupy you do not say in passing “my wife drives a couple of cadillacs.” Nope. How about how you are going to get folks back to work? How will you  ensure the safety net remains solid? People are worried about work- and dont want to hear about this dude’s cadillacs and lifestyle.

6. guyski February 26, 2012 at 6:38 am #

The Cadillacs are nitpicking. If there should be any criticism about the Romney’s mode of transportation, it should be that the Caddy’s are NOT 2012 models. People with their money should be stimulating the economy by buying new cars.  As for cars; the Chevy Volt cost $41,000 reduced by a $7,500 tax credit. The average yearly income of  Volt buyer is $170,000, that is odd.

7. fairmindedindependent February 27, 2012 at 1:16 am #

It should tell you something when Mitt Romney has to battle in his own homestate against Rick Santorum. Thats not good, even if he wins because it is looking like it will be by a small margin. Mitt Romney does not inspire people to vote for him at all. I just not want to be rich like Romney because all that money can turn to greed. Thats what alot of these establihsment types think, that were want to live off of them and become them, which is totally false, we want them to pay a fair-share of taxes, thats really not much to ask. We don’t want their mansions or three to five cars, at least I don’t. I agree with Republicans on a few issues, we shouldn’t be waste money, I just have a different opinion them the GOP on what needs to be cut, I want a chunk of the military budget to be cut, and put money toward roads and bridges, education.