Komen Move to Defund Planned Parenthood Not a Surprise

Planned Parenthood confirms that Komen is the first, and only, organization to cut off funding since the Congress began debating the issue in earnest last winter. Komen said it could not continue to fund Planned Parenthood because it has adopted new guidelines that bar it from funding organizations under congressional investigation. The House oversight and investigations subcommittee announced in the fall an investigation into Planned Parenthood’s funding. – Why Komen defunded Planned Parenthood

While the right was laying ground for what just happened, the left was giving ground.

This Komen—Planned Parenthood relationship has long been a target of pro-life activists and, media bias aside, this appears to be a remarkable turning point.Kathryn Lopez

Kathryn Lopez is correct and the abortion rights opponents earned it. Democrats and progressives have no one to blame but themselves.

Nothing happens suddenly on issues this large or in a vacuum. There is always a methodology to this type of madness and when you cede territory to people on a mission you rarely get it back.

In a statement by Cecile Richards of Planned Parenthood, she says she’s “shocked and saddened.” How embarrassing for her. Others write words like “creep up” to describe what has been systematic strategy utilizing tactics that the left is too squeamish to consider.

As a liberal, all I can say is that the female leaders we have today not only aren’t up to the task, but progressives have failed immeasurably and completely to defend the ground stronger women who came before won.

This fight has been around for decades and revolves around abortion rights not cancer screening. But a tipping point occurred during the health care debate when Democrats chose to allow the Hyde Amendment to be codified into law. Until the Affordability Care Act, the Hyde Amendment had to be voted on yearly in the budget.

It signified Democrats and progressives had blinked and the right got the message.

At the time, Planned Parenthood’s Cecile Richards wasn’t bothered by the move in ACA or the decisions by Democrats. But when Rep. Bart Stupak was given ground by former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the first female speaker of the House in U.S. history who also empowered the Catholic Church during health care negotiations, something fundamental shifted on the game board. Mr. Stupak was then elevated further through an unnecessary executive order signed by Pres. Obama and the message was sent and received by people who never give ground that Democrats weren’t going to suit up for the fight.

The Susan G. Komen decision is the result of getting beaten, with women across this country the victims because Ms. Richards, Ms. Pelosi, Rep. DeGette and the so-called progressive “pro-choice” caucus, along with many, many others never understood what compromise on issues of bedrock principle to the right would mean in the long-term.

We’ve seen it with Pres. Obama’s actions time and again.

The Susan B. Komen decision is about the abortion rights opponent forces winning a battle through squeezing the foundation, starting with getting them ostracized. Here’s the background if you’re interested. Komen’s current senior vice president public policy person is Karen Handel, a woman who wasn’t going to stop until the defunding of Planned Parenthood was a reality.

These are not people who capitulate and compromise for the sake of anything, unlike Democrats and progressives in Congress and their allies who set this scene up.

An entire chapter in my book, “Is Freedom Just for Men,” was written because I saw the erosion of women’s rights, which began with the Hyde Amendment decades ago. It then crescendoed with it being not only codified into law, but women are expected to find emergency insurance outside the normal routes, shrinking the pool of insured and opening the door to unavailability. In this chapter in my book, I cite all the “mini-Stupak” laws that have spread in a contagion across this country, because of the message sent by Democrats.

Susan G. Komen Foundation made the decision on Planned Parenthood because the right won critical seats in the 2010 midterms in a rabid campaign that Democrats didn’t engage fully, including on economics. It allowed Republicans to corner Planned Parenthood, which set up the investigation, which was written into Komen as something that disqualified an organization from funding.

As I wrote in “The Party’s Over,” for over 30 years Democrats have said women needed to vote for them to keep our rights secure. I’ve done that, trusted them, and with Democrats the only game in politics who aren’t cut out for the current fight, now look what has happened. What I was promised would never occur if I voted Democratic.

When you have female leaders so weak on fundamental issues of women’s individual freedoms that they are willing to give away foundational concessions on issues won through the courts it’s only a matter of time before you lose them. Putting party loyalty above all else is how this unfolded.

This was very well played strategy by the right whose tactics should have been seen a long way out. That the head of Planned Parenthood is “shocked” says it all.

Needless to say, I’m not.

Next you’ll hear a rallying cry from Democrats and others to fight back and that women’s rights are at stake! The mean anti-women’s coalition is targeting us all! Give money now!

Any organization taking your money to fund political prerogatives over the mission they’re touting doesn’t deserve one dime.

It goes beyond hypocrisy. It’s a betrayal of trust and purpose, using women as the coin.

This column has been edited.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Komen Move to Defund Planned Parenthood Not a Surprise

1. Art Pronin February 1, 2012 at 1:20 am #

DIgusting. 200k women will lose breast cancer screenings and hell some may die bc of this decision by komen. credo has a great petition to the komen board. our leaders might not do what is needed by we must tell komen what we think-

• ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 8:50 am #

As one who has spent countless hours training for and walking in 3 of the 60-mile 3-day walks and raised thousands of dollars for Komen, I just can’t find the words to describe my feelings about this. The knee jerk reaction is to abandon Komen and not donate another second of my time or money which I probably will do, ultimately.

For now, I will start with the petition. Thanks for the link to the petition, Art.

2. Cujo359 February 1, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Soon, Democrats will have no one left to throw from the sleigh. One wonders when they are going to get the idea that if they keep shafting their supporters, they’ll eventually have none left, even if most of the supporters are dimwits.

3. Jane Austen February 1, 2012 at 6:03 am #

_______________

Komen should be investigated also.

4. Jane Austen February 1, 2012 at 6:06 am #

I’m beyond disgust.  This is one of those actions that make me puke.  Women will soon be legally relegated to 2nd class citizenship.  I love the hypocrites who want government to stay out of their business, except, of course, if it’s telling a woman what she can and can’t do with her body.

5. Joyce Arnold February 1, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Like many, I’ve spent time supporting Komen. You’re right, Taylor, that this isn’t a surprise. Just another indication of how far right this nation has moved, at least in terms of much of the actions.

6. TPAZ February 1, 2012 at 9:49 am #

This is shameful. Weakness (I’m looking at you Obama) starts at the top. When when the left realize that we are the fight of our lives on all fronts – and is losing with a fucking smile on our faces!

7. secularhumanizinevoluter February 1, 2012 at 10:09 am #

To say this is shameful is such an understatement. It underlines the pure evil at the heart of the “family values” mob.

8. fangio February 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

A long while back I said a third party would work if all the disaffected groups left their respective parties and supported the new one.  I also suggested they,  OWS and an existing third party join forces to form a party that cannot be ignored.  I now believe this is the only answer,  there is no other.

9. ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Ironic, you know, that I adopted the screen name “ladywalker68″ as a registration name for one of the events.

I signed the petition and will drop my support for the Koman foundation. I can easily make direct contributions to Planned Parenthood and where I live, there are local charities that help women who are suffering from breast cancer, so I can personally defund Koman, without defunding my support for breast cancer victims.

10. casualobserver February 1, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I won’t quibble with your assertion that lack of spine is one raison d’être, but after reading lefty blogs for years, I will also add that the collective you will continue to not make much progress as long as you implicitly remain wedded to the notion that other people’s money is somehow your money.

The SGK Foundation is clearly more sustained in its research by corporate cause marketing partnerships than personal checks from liberals. If that first group of donors is bothered by funding breast cancer screenings at abortion counseling facilities, then they have every right to express that objection.

Conduct the breast cancer screeings at different facilities using uncommingled funds. I am sure the SGK funds will start to flow in once again. Problem solved.

• ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I agree.

And the many walkers in the 3-day events who have raised tens of thousands of dollars (amounts to a lot more than a small personal check) who disagree have every right to express our objections by withdrawing support from Koman. I have been reading comments all over and there are many women who are on both sides of the issue.

11. Lake Lady February 1, 2012 at 11:02 am #

Taylor you have been writing about this forever. My donations to Naral stopped when they cut Hillary off at the kees and my donations to PP stopped when they laid down for Stupak and Pelosi. Ladywalker is right, I should just donate to my local PP. They do good work. I used to be active with them but then I got too busy with local politics.

Is it just me or do others feel like breast cancer has been way over comodified? I am sick of all the “pink”  things available on the market. I need to read the background you have provided but Komen has really lost it’s luster for me.

Now I’m am going to sign Art’s petition.

• ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

It’s not just you, Lake Lady. Even when I was doing the walks, I was always torn with how much was raised went directly to the cause versus how much went to pay for the logistic support of the event.

I don’t like to pit death counts of one disease versus another, but this turn of events justifies it. Heart disease kills more people (yes and more women) every year than breast cancer and in fact, I believe more than all cancers combined. Heart issues manifest themselves differently between the genders and yet often, women get treated with the same methods and according to the same processes as men, which isn’t the way to go. So I have started to support shoring up heart disease research with an emphasis on treatment for women.

The other irony of my involvement with the 3-Day was spurred by what I perceived as very limited CHOICES for women when it came to treatment and that it had changed precious little from the time I lost a relative in 1969 versus supporting a co-working in 1989. The medical industrial complex was making fantastic strides in helping men keep their D I C K S hard, but when diagnosed with breast cancer, women’s choices were pretty much involved slicing off body parts, painful radiation, and administering poison in hopes of chasing the bad stuff out. Even after that, I lost several other friends and relatives so that in the early to mid 2000s I did several of the walks, and in fact was considering doing it again this year.

But not now. For me, it is all about choice and women having options in what happens to their bodies and if Koman wants do deny a woman’s choice of what she can do with her body, then the organization becomes the poster child for hypocrisy.

• Taylor Marsh February 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

ANY organization taking your money to fund political prerogatives over the mission they’re touting doesn’t deserve one dime.

• Uh-oh February 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Amen to that!  I think that this has lost both Komen and the Dems a lot of support from women.

• ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Taylor-Thank you for coming up with the word I was looking for when I read this post first thing in the morning: BETRAYAL!

12. nightrain37 February 1, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Nothing surprising here, the Democraps have always kicked their base and supporters in the teeth all promises and nothing more. Minorities, women, LGBT, where else are we gonna go. This has been going on with the Dems since the 70′s and they just get weaker and weaker, Face it they are just as bought and paid for as the Repugs. The Dems are worse because at least the Republicans you know they plan to screw you. the Dems are just flat out weak, and looking to get paid after leaving office. Again don’t know why anyone is surprised. Black Americans have been dealing with this forever with the Dems. So just prepare to fight and bring them along kicking and screaming.

13. JoeCHI February 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Thank you President “Present”!

14. casualobserver February 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

OK, fine, let’s stipulate they will lose tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands from donors such as you who believe they ought to continue to provide funds to organizations that could use those dollars for either breast cancer screening or some other service.

That”s still a long ways away from their $400,000,000 annual revenue received. I certainly suspect they studied both the pro and the con of this decision on their fund raising take and calculated which side they would do worse to piss off.

Per this article at HuffPo….

NEW YORK – The nation’s leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is halting its partnerships with Planned Parenthood affiliates — creating a bitter rift, linked to the abortion debate, between two iconic organizations that have assisted millions of women.

The change will mean a cutoff of hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, mainly for breast exams.

To the extent your donations now go to PP instead, nobody loses…..since SGK wasn’t finding the cure for breast cancer at PP locations anyway, they will actually have hundreds of thousands more each year to directly fund researching breast cancer…..since people like me will reward them for cleaning this matter up. And with your hundreds of thousands now going to PP, looks like it will be wash for PP too,  but now PP gets its funding from sponsors who don’t care what PP uses the money on.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

15. ladywalker68 February 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

I don’t know about it being a win for the Komen Foundation, but it appears if it has been a win for PP. According to this article in the Huffington Post, PP has received $400,000 from 6000 donors since the announcement by the Komen foundation. Also, the Komen Connecticut chapter has broken with corporate and will continue to work with PP:

Excerpt from the above article:

The main sentiment among the thousands of people posting online seems to be that regardless of one’s position on the issue of abortion, it is wrong to politicize women’s health. According to a new Polipulse analysis of online conversations about the issue, only 26 percent of people believe Komen made the right decision. Nearly a quarter of the people who expressed criticism of Komen’s decision online said they were going to pull their donations from Komen.

In contrast, Planned Parenthood has seen a huge influx of financial donations in the 24 hours since Komen broke ties. While the organization has not officially released the new donation numbers yet, a source close to the issue said they’ve raised “hundreds of thousands” of dollars in individual donations during that period. That, combined with a donation of $250,000 from Texas oil executive Lee Fikes and his wife Amy for a “Breast Health Emergency Fund,” could put the family planning provider on track to match or surpass the roughly $680,000 it received from Komen in 2011.

Planned Parenthood said it also saw a spike in people making appointments for breast examinations Wednesday.

16. ladywalker68 February 2, 2012 at 2:30 am #

Well, well, well this film is quite timely. Thank goodness somebody is exposing dark side of the over-played hype of Pink…

Here is another related link about the film: