Attacks on Mitt Romney Fizzle Out Quickly, Media Remains Part of the Story

Mitt Romney suggested in today’s debate that only rich people should run for office, and then quickly celebrated the fact that he’d forced a rival to take out a loan against his house. Romney said his father, Michigan Governor George Romney, had told him, “Mitt, never get involved in politics if you have to win an election to pay a mortgage.” – Romney: Politics For The Rich

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Ladies, we’ve arrived, the last two times I tried to watch the video above, the ads running before it were for Olay and Cover Girl. Hopefully they’ll get their act together so you can see the whole Meet the Press debate because right now it’s hit and miss. ([update] Video working great now.)

It’s news that after neutering themselves in 14 other debates, the GOP wannabes on stage with Mitt Romney during the stellar Meet the Press (transcript here) debate finally decide to take him on. Unfortunately, when Newt Gingrich tried it he started off by whining about time keeping, then when he served up an attack on Romney’s Super PAC Mitt had an answer that unpacked every single charge against Gingrich, all of which were true.

But after those first 30 minutes, Romney’s rivals mostly stopped their criticism. In fact, the entire debate was a metaphor for the entire GOP campaign — piling on Romney lost its steam. Collectively, the group just doesn’t seem to know how to sustain the attack, and that explains why Romney is ahead now and why he is getting closer and closer to becoming a “de facto” nominee. (Romney also did a pretty good job of parrying the attacks that came his way.) – NBC First Read

The other important thing about the debates, last night vs. this morning, was the difference between ABC’s ineffectual, blundering attempt versus David Gregory’s tour de force moderation. The comparison is nothing but brutal, especially where Ms. Sawyer is concerned. Gregory’s questions and pacing were simply in a different league.

That all ended the instant NBC handed the “analysis” over to MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, who had Howard Fineman and Eugene Robinson on as his first guests. What then followed was an unexpected moment.

Romney mouthpiece, former Gov. John Sununu, blasted Matthews from the moment the pro-Obama former newsman handed the focus over to him.

“Reveling & wallowing.. Stop being ridiculous … You guys have an agenda” – John Sununu

They sure do and it’s not providing viewers with information so they can make up their minds without being spoon fed talking points that support one candidate over another.

Just because Fox News Channel is bought and paid for by Republican hacks doesn’t excuse MSNBC from offering the bookend for Democrats.

The real question is why can’t CNN capitalize on their competition’s obvious cheerleading coverage for one party over another at a time when both big two parties are losing affiliated voters, with independents sick of everyone picking sides over offering facts and truth?

People are so used to so-called political analysts picking a side they can’t recognize truth or facts when offered, with the messenger always getting blamed. It’s one thing to openly declare a conservative or liberal bias, but pimping for one politician over another is nakedly dishonest.

It was important to see Mitt Romney finally challenged, but it was way too little way too late to be able to do the job. He’s on a roll, but more importantly, he’s got confidence and has his talking points down so that he’s now become the teflon frontrunner.

However, as you’ll see from the story at the top of the page, Mitt Romney just can’t help telling the truth about his life, which often reveals his 1% privilege, which when compared to Pres. Obama’s up from his bootstraps biography is decidedly elite.

“I want to do whatever I can to convince my colleagues that Sen. Santorum is the right man,” Bauer told The Hill late Saturday afternoon. – The Hill

Now it’s simply too late.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Attacks on Mitt Romney Fizzle Out Quickly, Media Remains Part of the Story

1. Lake Lady January 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

I missed last night’s debate because I got facinated with a new book a psycho-therapist has done on Obama that was on C-span’s booknotes. It was not hackneyed but insightful. I suggest trying to find it on C-Span if you can. Sounds like I did not miss much.

I listened to today’s with half an ear…..they are really getting boring even if dancing( WH Gridiron dinner during W’s admin.) David Gregory upped the game.

I sure agree with you about MSMBC, it has just gotten terrible. Ed and the Rev and O’Donnell are just plain unwatchable and Tweety thinks we have all forgotten the smearing he has done in the past of Democrats starting with WJC even worse of Gore and infurating with Hillary. CNN simply does not have enough sharp people to keep your attention. Candy Crowley is good but I can’t shake the image Matt Taibbi put in my mind of her during the ’08 campaign, Donna Brazille lost all my respect during that campaign too. I like Fareed Zakaria’s willingness to go outside the US for guests but his recent special on education was a big disappointment. Where did  Eliot Spitzer go?

I have been watching all these yahoos for too long.

• Taylor Marsh January 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Hey LLady.

Our media picking sides remains a huge story, because we cannot change the political system if they game it like they do.

It’s one reason Cenk Uygur got canned.

It’s why I’m so partial to Dylan Ratigan.

But the smartest show on TV is “Up” with Chris Hayes. It’s political vegetables for wonks & people who’d like to be informed on ISSUES. He’s a liberal, but it’s the most honest & intensely information focused show on MSNBC today.

• Lake Lady January 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Totally agree on Chris Hayes. His show is the best thing on cable.

• Pilgrim January 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Lake Lady, what is the title/author of the book you mention  above?

• Lake Lady January 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

I’ll have to get back to you on that Pilgram.

2. fangio January 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

“  They sure do and it’s not providing viewer’s  with information so they can make up their minds without being spoon fed talking points that support one candidate over another.  “  Isn’t this the whole problem.  voters who need to be spoon fed.  What information could they possibly glean from these narcissistic blowhards.  They sit there for half an hour and talk at each other,  saying nothing.  Most viewer’s are familiar with ‘  Hardball  “  but Mathews has another program,  “  The Chris Mathews Show . “  which is syndicated in my area very late on Sundays.  Fineman and Robinson are regulars who alternate with people like Joe Klien ,  Bob Woodward and Katy Kay of the BBC.  Also sprinkled in are reporters from the NYT,  Washington Post and wire services.  It took a few weeks to realize that I would never learn anything of use from these people.  They really just say the same things week after week and you can find the same information any number of places. There is no reason to watch these debates or these programs.  It’s just entertainment and that’s the whole problem.  It’s an un – beauty pageant closer to Access Hollywood than serious political issues.  The internet is a magnificent tool for learning all you need to know about any politician;  there is know need for all the entertainment,  but that’s what Americans really want;  to be entertained.

• Taylor Marsh January 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

It’s an un — beauty pageant closer to Access Hollywood than serious political issues.

I’m even less kind in my book, but you nail it, fangio.

People also want their own opinions validated, not challenged, which is the real problem where “news” as a business, aka cable political shows that depend on ratings for advertising dollars, are concerned.

3. Ga6thDem January 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Taylor, while I agree with most of what you are saying here Obama is hardly a “from the bootstraps guy”. He certainly didn’t grow up in the same league with Romney but I would said Obama had a solid upper middle class upbringing. He’s one year younger than I and I would say that he had many more advantages than I did and had a much more privileged upbringing than I did which was  a solid middle class one for me.

I’m with LL on Tweety. What tweety did in the 90′s and then during the Dem primary is something every D should remember and beyond that his whoring for W was so much that I quit watching Tweety back then.

• Taylor Marsh January 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Interesting, but I just don’t see Barack Obama as having a “solid upper middle class upbringing” from what I’ve read of his story.

• Ga6thDem January 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

I would say that going to one of the toniest private schools in the country once he lived in Hawaii is what gave me the impression that he had an upper middle class life at least while he lived with his grandparents.

• jjamele January 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

he also spent part of his childhood in Indonesia- you know, thne typical african-american experience.

4. DerFarm January 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I grew up trailer park … only there weren’t no damn trailers back then.  One of the things I learned when I escaped was that some people think there are two sides to every story.  Mostly, those people call themselves liberals.  Maybe those people are right and there ARE two sides.  It doesn’t mean that both of those sides are worth talking about.

I don’t think taking the tax rates of the richest people in the country from 32% to 12% is a side worth talking about.

I don’t believe that starving 30 million kids to save on Food Stamps is a side worth analysis.

I don’t believe that people who want to go back to DADT HAVE a side that deserves to be addressed.

I saw the Mathews analysis and thought it was pretty good. I don’t think the bastards have a leg to stand on. I KNOW Sunnunu is as partisan as they come, and I wish MSNBC would have the good common sense to leave him to Fox News. But then I guess I’m just not liberal enough.

Oh, and I wouldn’t die for Rick Santorum’s right to talk trash about gays either. I was in the Marines to keep out of the trailor park, not so some scumbag could knock the fathers of my grandson.

5. Art Pronin January 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

No TM is right- Mitt was born into priveldge as part of the top of our business and political elite- recall his dad was a car guy and was a popular guv of MI. Obama taleis different- his dad was a prof, his life in KS didnt seem like a picinic. So at least he has that to highlight against Mitt

• Cujo359 January 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I doubt that either one of them ever lived hard. The only difference between them is that it seems possible that Obama knew people who did, where it’s unlikely that Romney even believes they exist. Unless they choose to live that way, of course. You know, like those carefree folks at the Occupy camps.

Do you ever get the idea I don’t have much use for our “leaders” these days?

• Ga6thDem January 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

According to Obama’s biography he never lived in Kansas. His mother grew up there but he lived in HI until his mother married Sotero and they moved to Indonesia. When he was 10, his mother sent him to Hawaii to live with her family.

6. dafederalist January 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

“Conservatives missed their chance by not having a representative candidate to challenge Romney from the start. But people like Jim Demint are also to blame, because he didn’t want to be bothered with the responsibility of backing a right wing conservative that might lose.”

Boy did they miss their chance!  Mike Huckabee has really gotta be kicking himself right about now.  If the Republicans are willing to settle for this batch then they will settle for anything (I.E.  Mike Huckabee)

Couple of things.

1)  IOWA and NEW HAMPSHIRE are irrelevant.  The rest of the country already knows this and are getting tired of a few select party hacks sending another lamb to slaughter.  Mitt Romney just isn’t their guy.  He can’t even crack that 50% of his own parties caucus goers.

2)  Ginchrich, had he not been so cocksured that he would be “Chosen”, could have been a contender.  I’ll say this…Gingrich did come out swinging….and from all accounts of what I’m seeing in South Carolina….he still has a shot (I know…I almost vomited just typing that!)

3)  Romney took a beating here that is for sure.  But this debate was not about New Hampshire (Which he has already won)…this debate is really all about South Carolina.  What happens in South Carolina will determine if either Christian Conservatives want to make Barack Obama a one term President bad enough or if they are willing to turn past the Mormonism thing ( Lets not kidd ourselves…thats whats at issue…it is not that Mitt Romney isn’t conservative enough…just going by his record in Massetuchettes it is clear that he isn’t…..The real issue that Evangelicals have with Romney is that he is not Christian enough).

4)  I was most impressed with Jon Huntsmen.  But who are we kidding…he has as much chance of being the Republican Nominee as I do of being straight!

5)  Note to Rick Santorum….block grants are bullshit.  The people need those programs (Welfare, housing assistance and Social Security) because they can’t find a decent job to pay all of there bills.  If you really want to balance the budget, get rid of farm subsidies, tax loop holes, and raise the income taxes on the top one percent to what it was pre-2000.

6)  Rick Perry….what an IDIOT…Americans want to have a job?  How about a job in which they can afford their basic bills?  These conservatives talk about having a competitive workforce….uhmm…with whom?  CHINA (i.e. no medical benefits, pensions, MINIMUM WAGE)…Sorry but sweatshops is still SLAVERY (Conservatives, please see the 13th amendment…it’s in the constitution so please stop glancing over the parts  that you do not like as you do the bible).

7)  I must say Mr. Gregory did ask some questions and at times did follow up on some questions.  This debate certainly wasn’t the bake sale that occurred last night (OMG I WISH I WOULD HAVE WATCHED THE SAINTS vs THE LIONS INSTEAD!)

****Special Note**** Can someone please do a urine test on DONALD TRUMP so we can know exactly how high he is to think that by switching to independent people will not recall that in the last 20 years he has had to file for bankruptcy 3 times!!!  If you can’t add or subtract good enough to balance your checkbook you certainly can’t be President!

7. jjamele January 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

I couldn’t stomach MSNBC’s postgame show on this morning’s debate- Chris Matthews couldn’t stop referencing Henry Cabot Lodge (a few days ago, the guy who loves to name-drop politicians who have been dead for two decades was jabbering about Hugh Scott and Bill Scranton) and Eugene Robinson is just grotesque on these shows, a “journalist” who can’t stop chuckling and giggling about nothing in particular.  I loathe John Sununu, but I was cheering him on as he refused to be bullied by Matthews- my bet is that he’s not asked for his opinion again by Matthews for quite some time.

MSNBC, with it’s revolving door of Matthews, Schultz, Maddow, and Chris Hayes, and with Robinson who really ought to just live in the studio he is on so often, is rapidly becoming a true Democratic Party (NOT liberal) version of Fox, is becoming unwatchable.