Oscar Liveblog: KEEP HITTING REFRESH..
7:10 pm CST: As we watch the red carpet and get ready for the ceremony here are some of my thoughts on Oscar tonight. Agree? Disagree?
Montage of great Oscar moments!
So it begins- the 2011 Academy Awards!!!
I think there will be a few big surprises tonight. This year seems more fluid and not fully locked down. Yes The King’s Speech has momentum-winning every guild, but Social Network has great respect and a darling of critics and many in the Academy.
This year is historic for Oscar. If King’s Speech win Best Pic it will be the 1st ever film to do so based on a Brit monarch. If Firth wins Best Actor he will be the 1st ever to win so for a role playing a Brit king. I will have more facts later once winners are announced.
I use TKS for The King’s Speech and TSN for The Social Network guys- hope that is ok because it will help speed up some of the liveblog updates here.
Oh and who do I think will win? Well Firth for Best Actor for sure. Best Actress I lean Portman but of late I’ve been reading of a late Bening surge for her brave role as a gay mom in the Kids Are All Right. A 4 time nom there is much working for her here- a possible upset? And yes I think TKS will win big tonight- but how big? If it’s a huge sweep expect lots of early categories to go to it and some possible surprise wins in the supporting acting races as well.
**It’s a rare year where it looks like the Academy may split the big vote- giving Fincher Best Director for TSN and TKS for Best Pic. Fincher has been around a long time doing great work. It a near tossup race for director.**
I think Bale will win for the Fighter. And he should. A stunning performance. Yet again I’m torn- I think Rush has momentum especially if TKS sweeps big tonight. Rush could pull victory here. So could Bonham Carter for best supporting actress. Melissa Leo is still to me a very slight frontrunner to win for playing the mom on the Fighter but her competition is strong here. Her co-star Adams may pull votes allowing Carter to finally bag gold after 20 years of Oscar noms and kudos for TKS. Or perhaps True Grit’s Steinfeld.
Score goes to TKS I think, Cinematography to true grit I hope. Best animated pic to Toy Story 3. I’m rooting for the original fantastic film Inception to win a few trophies tonight. Warning: I am a BIG TKS fan. But all the films and actors this year nominated are really excellent. Very deserving group tonight- for once. Let the night begin….
7:15pm : What is so great is that all the noms are so very deserving for once. I’ve seen em all friends and all are worthy of being nominated and winning. Loved TKS, the witty TSN. The wonderful True Grit I thought was better than the ’69 Wayne version. Inception was the most orignal film of the year and shame for the Academy for failing to give him a directing nom!
7:20PM: 10 minutes to go. I think Hathaway is very talented- she and Franco host tonight. Hathaway can really act, sing and more. In fact she is rumored to play Judy Garland in a upcomming biopic.
7:30PM : WE BEGIN! Great best pic nom montage opens it!
– Hathaway doing Inception fun! Popping into best pic noms. This is funny…
7:40PM: Hathaway and Franco kick it up on stage. Their moms are in the house! And mom give Anne advice to not slouch..
7:45PM: They honor Gone with the Wind the most awesome!
-Tom Hanks is up to announce first winners. And with him are previous winners- neat. The screen surrounds him. :
Art Direction: WINNER: ALICE IN WONDERLAND.
Cinematography: WINNER: INCEPTION WINS IT- SURPRISE-MANY THOUGHT DEAKINS FOR TRUE GRIT WOULD GET IT!!
7:52: Kirk Douglas’s dad returns on stage- – one of the greats. A legend!
Best Supporting Actress time: WINNER- MELISSA LEO PULLS IT OFF!!!
Gives moving speech here- even cusses. She tears up about her family.
8PM: Timberlake and Kunis on stage.
BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM: WINNER THE LOST THING.
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM WINNER: TOY STORY 3!
815pm: Bardem presents ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:WINNER IS – SORKIN FOR TSN!! …. AND NOW ORIG SCREENPLAY: WINNER- SIEDLER FOR TKS!!
SIEDLER- 25 yr journey in writing this script.
820PM- NEXT UP- FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM!
Helen Mirren presents on stage- she won for the Queen.
WINNER IS : IN A BETTER WORLD- A SURPRISE WIN..
830PM: Witherspoon does Best Supp Actor:
WINNER: BALE FOR THE FIGHTER!
Bale gives emotive speech. Shows love for Dick Eckland. Tears up about his wife…
840pm: Jackman and Kidman up.
Doing a great little history of music and sound here. And a live montage with Star Wars, ET, West Side Story…the greats…
ORIGINAL SCORE WINNER: TSN! SURPRISE WINNER- MANY THOUGHT TKS INCL ME.
850PM: SOUND MIXING WINNER: INCEPTION!!
WINNDER SOUND EDITING: INCEPTION AGAIN! SO FAR INCEPTION NOW LEADS IN TOTAL WINS
855PM: Tomei- a shock winner for supp actress yrs ago for My Cousin Vinny- on stage. Talks about tech awards ceremony.
Cate Blanchette- one of faves- is onstage!
WINNER BEST MAKEUP: WOLFMAN!COSTUME DESIGN: ALICE IN WONDERLAND-MAKES 2 NOW FOR ALICE!
9PM: Obama appears on tx cam- praises song As Time Goes By from casablanca- I agree!
Spacey on stage- Best Orig Song.- no winner yet.
910PM: Short Films WINNER: DOCU SHORT SUBJECT:STRANGERS NO MORE!! LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM: GOD OF LOVE!
915PM: Im not feeling the TKS sweep here. Its won one so far. Inception leads with 3.
Oprah on stage. Nom for Color Purple.
BEST DOCU : WINNER- INSIDE JOB!
930PM: Billy Crystal takes the stage in a surprise! Maybe he can inject some fun into this show that is dragging here. Talkin about Bob Hope-18 time oscar host. Oh wish we had Hope right now for this!
Hope is onstage via tv. Hah funny stuff here. Thank God.
930PM: Jude Law,Downey jr on stage..
VISUAL EFFECTS: WINNER – INCEPTION WINS AGAIN! WOW- IT LEADS THE NIGHT STILL…
FILM EDITING: WINNER- BIG CATAGORY HERE-PREDICITVE OF BEST PIC- TSN WINS!!
945PM- Jennifer Hudson on stage to perfor. This woman can sing! Too bad she aint here.
BEST ORIG SONG: WINNER- WE BELONG TOGETHER-TOY STORY 3!
955PM: Celine Dion is on! Gives memorial ontage song to those we lost. This is a real tribute here..
Halle Berry gives tribute to Lena Horne. Horne was a hell of a actress and groundbreaker..
10PM: Hillary Swank on stage- 2 time winner!
And-Bigelow-1st WOMAN EVER TO WIN BEST DIR on as well.
BEST DIRECTOR: WINNER- TOM HOOPER!!!!- SURPRISE- A MILD ONE- MOST THOUGHT FINCHER FOR TSN. HOOPER DID ELIZABETH I WITH MIRREN FOR HBO AND JOHN ADAMS. CLOSE ONE HERE.
Hooper giving a gracious speech here. Very humble- thanks his mum. Talks about his mum who saw a play reading Kings Speech. She then tol d him about it and surprise he made TKS. Neat.
10:05pm: Bening on stage on the governors awards. She is up tonight for Best Actress- time number 4 people.
3 biggies come out including francis Ford Coppola..
Uh ok the 3 are gone from stage?!
10:10PM: Jeff Bridges on stage!
BEST ACTRESS: WINNER PORTMAN!!!!!!!!!
Portman gives a weepy speech- moving. About her parents. Deserving win.
10:20PM: Sandra Bullock on stage. Bullock funny- thank goodness.
BEST ACTOR: COLIN FIRTH FOR TKS!!!! WELL DESERVED.
Colin gives speech honoring his cast members. Cheers Siedler. Hooper.
10:30PM:Steven Spielberg takes the stage!
BEST PICTURE: WINNER – The Kings Speech!!!!!!!!!!!
Well that was one boring ceremony. I mean really. new host and energy please. Please!
Kids from NY PS22 sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Such talent!
I’m leaving the trailers and nom list up for your reference..
I’m hosting Oscar 2011 liveblog tonight. I’m a big film buff and intense Oscar watcher/tracker. So this is like my Super Bowl. Plus we could use a night of relief from the grim and gritty politics we observe here daily. So before the show starts here are the ten best picture nominees with their trailers. For your consideration:
“The Kids Are All Right”
“The King’s Speech”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3”
Here is the complete list of nominees. Who do you think will win best picture? Actor? Actress? Best supporting? Director? Screenplays?
Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards
1. Best Picture: “Black Swan,” ”The Fighter,” ”Inception,” ”The Kids Are All Right,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”127 Hours,” ”The Social Network,” ”Toy Story 3,” ”True Grit,” ”Winter’s Bone.”
2. Actor: Javier Bardem, “Biutiful”; Jeff Bridges, “True Grit”; Jesse Eisenberg, “The Social Network”; Colin Firth, “The King’s Speech”; James Franco, “127 Hours.”
3. Actress: Annette Bening, “The Kids Are All Right”; Nicole Kidman, “Rabbit Hole”; Jennifer Lawrence, “Winter’s Bone”; Natalie Portman, “Black Swan”; Michelle Williams, “Blue Valentine.”
4. Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, “The Fighter”; John Hawkes, “Winter’s Bone”; Jeremy Renner, “The Town”; Mark Ruffalo, “The Kids Are All Right”; Geoffrey Rush, “The King’s Speech.”
5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, “The Fighter”; Helena Bonham Carter, “The King’s Speech”; Melissa Leo, “The Fighter”; Hailee Steinfeld, “True Grit”; Jacki Weaver, “Animal Kingdom.”
6. Directing: Darren Aronofsky, “Black Swan”; David O. Russell, “The Fighter”; Tom Hooper, “The King’s Speech”; David Fincher, “The Social Network”; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, “True Grit.”
7. Foreign Language Film: “Biutiful,” Mexico; “Dogtooth,” Greece; “In a Better World,” Denmark; “Incendies,” Canada; “Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi),” Algeria.
8. Adapted Screenplay: Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy, “127 Hours”; Aaron Sorkin, “The Social Network”; Michael Arndt, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, “Toy Story 3”; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, “True Grit”; Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini, “Winter’s Bone.”
9. Original Screenplay: Mike Leigh, “Another Year”; Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson and Keith Dorrington, “The Fighter”; Christopher Nolan, “Inception”; Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg, “The Kids Are All Right”; David Seidler, “The King’s Speech.”
10. Animated Feature Film: “How to Train Your Dragon,” ”The Illusionist,” ”Toy Story 3.”
11. Art Direction: “Alice in Wonderland,” ”Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1,” ”Inception,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”True Grit.”
12. Cinematography: “Black Swan,” ”Inception,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”The Social Network,” ”True Grit.”
13. Sound Mixing: “Inception,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”Salt,” ”The Social Network,” ”True Grit.”
14. Sound Editing: “Inception,” ”Toy Story 3,” ”Tron: Legacy,” ”True Grit,” ”Unstoppable.”
15. Original Score: “How to Train Your Dragon,” John Powell; “Inception,” Hans Zimmer; “The King’s Speech,” Alexandre Desplat; “127 Hours,” A.R. Rahman; “The Social Network,” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
16. Original Song: “Coming Home” from “Country Strong,” Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey; “I See the Light” from “Tangled,” Alan Menken and Glenn Slater; “If I Rise” from “127 Hours,” A.R. Rahman, Dido and Rollo Armstrong; “We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3,” Randy Newman.
17. Costume: “Alice in Wonderland,” ”I Am Love,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”The Tempest,” ”True Grit.”
18. Documentary Feature: “Exit through the Gift Shop,” ”Gasland,” ”Inside Job,” ”Restrepo,” ”Waste Land.”
19. Documentary (short subject): “Killing in the Name,” ”Poster Girl,” ”Strangers No More,” ”Sun Come Up,” ”The Warriors of Qiugang.”
20. Film Editing: “Black Swan,” ”The Fighter,” ”The King’s Speech,” ”127 Hours,” ”The Social Network.”
21. Makeup: “Barney’s Version,” ”The Way Back,” ”The Wolfman.”
22. Animated Short Film: “Day and Night,” ”The Gruffalo,” ”Let’s Pollute,” ”The Lost Thing,” ”Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary).”
23. Live Action Short Film: “The Confession,” ”The Crush,” ”God of Love,” ”Na Wewe,” ”Wish 143.”
24. Visual Effects: “Alice in Wonderland,” ”Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1,” ”Hereafter,” ”Inception,” ”Iron Man 2.”